The Western Alaska Community Development Quota (CDQ) Program was created by the Council in 1992 to provide western Alaska communities an opportunity to participate in the BSAI fisheries that had been foreclosed to them because of the high capital investment needed to enter the fishery.
The CDQ Program allocates a percentage of all Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands quotas for groundfish, prohibited species, halibut, and crab to eligible communities. The purpose of the CDQ Program is to (i) to provide eligible western Alaska villages with the opportunity to participate and invest in fisheries in the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands Management Area; (ii) to support economic development in western Alaska; (iii) to alleviate poverty and provide economic and social benefits for residents of western Alaska; and (iv) to achieve sustainable and diversified local economies in western Alaska.
Amendments to the Magnuson-Stevens Act in 2006 made significant changes to the program. Staff contact is Sarah Marrinan: 907-271-2814.
Council Documents and Motions
- Development of Pacific Cod CDQ Small Vessel Fishery EA/RIR Public Review for Final Action 02/15; Council motion
- Development of Pacific Cod CDQ Small Vessel Fishery EA/RIR Public Review 10/14; Council motion
- Development of Pacific Cod CDQ Small Vessel Fishery EA/RIR/ IRFA Initial Review 6/14; Council motion
- Development of Pacific Cod CDQ Small Vessel Fishery Discussion paper 2/14; Council motion
- CDQ Legal Opinion – 6/07
- CDQ regulation of harvests EA – 5/07
- CDQ MSA Amendments in the Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation Act
- Legal opinion on the MSA and Amendment 85
- Coast Guard and MSA of 2006 (sections 416 and 417) *NOTE: non-CDQ sections have been removed.
- NMFS letter about FACA and the CDQ Panel – 8/06
- NMFS letter Suspending Certain Regulations for Community Development Plans and Amendments – 8/06
- CDQ Eligibility – 4/06
- Legislative Intent for HR 889 – 4/06
- Legislative Intent for HR 889 – 6/06
- Initial Administrative Determination to Extend the 2003-2005 CDQ Allocations and CDPs – 8/05
- CDQ motion – 12/05
- CDQ Amendment 71 Discussion Paper updated 11/21 – 12/05
- Modify CDQ Program EA/RIR – 12/05
- Council Motion, A Regulatory Amendment to Modify the Management of Community Development Quota Groundfish Reserves – 10/05
- Alternatives to Revise the Fisheries Management Regulations for the CDQ Program Groundfish Fisheries – 6/05
- Council Motion on the CDQ program – 4/05