THIS COMMITTEE IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
To reduce potential effects of fisheries on Steller sea lions, the Council and NOAA Fisheries have implemented many measures over the years. In October 2001, following a federal court order for NOAA and the Council to further justify the fishery management program’s impacts to Steller sea lions, a comprehensive and stringent suite of fishery management measures was developed by the Council’s Reasonable and Prudent Alternative Committee (later replaced by the Steller Sea Lion Mitigation Committee) to minimize potential competition for prey between fisheries and the endangered western stock of Steller sea lions.
In 2015, following the completion of the 2014 Biological Opinion authorizing the Alaska groundfish fisheries under revised Steller sea lion protection measures, the Council chose to dissolve the Steller Sea Lion Mitigation Committee.
Staff contact is Steve MacLean 907-271-2809.
- November 26-28,Seattle, WA
- November 7-9 , 2012, Review proposals for new RPAs for the 2012 SSL Protection Measures EIS.
- October 18-19, 2012, Agenda, Proposals: Brandon, Murray, Weiss1, Weiss2, Weiss3, Weiss4,
Gauvin1, Gauvin2, Gauvin3, Gauvin4, Gauvin5, Gauvin6, Gauvin7, Fraser Cod1, Fraser Cod2, Fraser Pollock1, Fraser Pollock2, and Down
- September 5-7, 2012 Agenda, Presentations: Rea
- July 31, 2012 Agenda, Presentations: Lowe, Martin, Aydin
- July 16-17, 2012 Agenda, Presentations: Fritz, Keaton, Wade, Logerwell, Horning, Gelatt, Fadely
- June 14-15, 2012 Agenda, Minutes, Presentation
- May 31, 2011, Agenda, via teleconference,
- February 2010, SSLMC Presentation to Council