In addition to discussing the relative priority and scheduling of previously tasked projects, the Council took the following actions and clarified direction and tasking for its committees:
- Tasked staff to add a module to the BSAI cod allocation review outlining steps necessary to remove obstacles that impede achieving, on a continuing basis, the complete harvest of Pacific cod allocations in the Bering Sea, Aleutian Islands, and add a similar discussion when reviewing the allocations in the Gulf of Alaska.
- Requested the agency revisit and update the Conservation Plan for the Eastern Pacific stock of Northern Fur Seals, and report on plans to the Ecosystem Committee.
- Recommended that the Ecosystem Committee discuss deep-sea coral research priorities, ways for Bering Sea communities to provide input to the Council with ecosystem issues and concerns, and Ecosystem Committee membership with recommendations back to the Council.
- Agreed to hold an Ecosystem Research Workshop during the February Council meeting
- Requested that the Executive Director and the Chair explore ways to coordinate the December Council meeting with the Young Fishermen’s Summit.
- Requested the agency work with NOAA Enforcement to resolve a question about when the starting time for a trawl tow begins.
- Requested an evening presentation on Alaska seafood markets from the McDowell Group during the December Council meeting.
- Approved the proposed allocation review schedule as identified in the Executive Director’s Report.
- Extend the public comment deadline for future Council meetings to close-of-business on the Thursday before the meeting.
- Directed staff to send letters regarding: a) comments to Senator Sullivan on draft legislation; b) comments to the agency on reducing the GOA survey to only two vessels; c) thank you to the agency for providing additional funds to the Observer Program, and commenting on the draft 2018 ADP recommendation to require 100% coverage on EM boats in 2019 with post-trip selection; d) comments to the NOAA Acquisition and Grants Office on the observer and EM service provider statements of work; e) request that the Navy to report back on 2017 Northern Edge activities and plans for 2018; f) thank you to James Uthmeier for visiting the Council meeting, and comments on the regulatory reform process.
Here is a revised Three-Meeting Outlook resulting from this Council meeting. Motions are posted on the Council website through the Agenda. Staff contact is Diana Evans.