In addition to discussing the relative priority of previously tasked projects, the Council initiated new actions and clarified direction and tasking for its various committees. The Council also took the following actions:
- Tasked staff to prepare a discussion paper that provides a synthesis of population and vital rate information for northern fur seals, to better understand current trends and impediments to population recovery.
- Tasked staff to prepare a discussion paper that evaluates participation in the Bering Sea Pacific cod trawl catcher vessel fishery in response to a potential need to limit entry and participation.
- Initiated an analysis of evaluating increases to the GOA catcher vessel Chinook salmon PSC caps.
- Established a Council process for developing options for increasing observer coverage rates in the partial coverage categories, beginning with recommendations from the OAC.
- Directed staff to send letters regarding: 1) support for strengthening the UAF Quantitative Fisheries program, 2) requesting information on the appointment process for commissioners and advisors to the North Pacific Fisheries Commission, 3) support for the AFSC budget to provide for continued abundance survey efforts, and 4) information for the CCC to focus discussion on conflict of interest recusal determinations.
Motions are posted on the Council website. Staff contact is David Witherell.