The Council discussed the relative priority and scheduling of previously tasked projects, as well as the following tasking issues.
- See revised 3 meeting outlook for changes to scheduling, including for the BSAI Pacific cod trawl CV analysis, halibut ABM discussion paper and analysis, and other agenda items addressed by the Council at the meeting.
The Council directed staff to develop the following letters:
- To NMFS, commenting on the proposed rule setting critical habitat for humpback whales.
- To NMFS, conveying the Council’s continued support for survey funding especially in response to changes in species distribution.
The Council provided the following additional direction:
- The Council clarified with staff that accountability measures were effectively undertaken by the Council and NMFS in December to respond to overages in the sablefish annual catch limit in 2019, although they were not explicitly labeled as accountability measures at the time.
- The Council requested a report from NMFS at the April meeting on the details of how cost recovery is assessed and used in the halibut/sablefish IFQ and Amendment 80 programs.
Regarding advisory groups:
- The Council asked the Community Engagement Committee to consider in their report the idea of tribal groups providing a report to the Council of their concerns especially with respect to changing environmental conditions, perhaps as a B report.
- Chairs of the IFQ, FMAC, and Ecosystem Committees highlighted draft agenda topics for their upcoming meetings.
- The Council provided additional direction about upcoming tasking priority for the Social Science Planning Team.