In the trawl flatfish fisheries in the Bering Sea and the central Gulf of Alaska, a trawl sweep gear modification has been required by the Council. Elevating devices (e.g., discs or bobbins) are required to be used on the trawl sweeps, to raise the sweeps off the seabed and limit adverse impacts of trawling on the seafloor. Research has demonstrated that this gear modification reduces unobserved mortality of red king crab, Tanner crab, and snow crab. Staff contact is Diana Evans 907-271-2815.
Documents and Council Motions
- GOA Trawl Sweep Modifications 2/12
- GOA trawl sweep modification discussion paper – 2/11
- Trawl sweep modification Public Review Draft – 10/09
- Trawl sweep modification Initial Review Draft – 6/09
- Trawl sweep modification discussion paper – 2/09
- Gear Modification Research discussion paper 12/05