In 2003, the U.S. Congress directed the Secretary of Commerce to establish, in consultation with the NPFMC, a pilot program for management of the Pacific ocean perch, northern rockfish, and pelagic shelf rockfish fisheries in the Central Gulf of Alaska (CGOA). Following this directive, in 2005, the Council adopted a share-based management program, under which the total allowable catch is apportioned as exclusive shares to cooperatives. This original program was scheduled to sunset after 2 years, but the 2007 reauthorization of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act extended the term of the program to 5 years, which sunset after the 2011 season.
The Council developed a replacement for the Rockfish Pilot Program that was effective on December 27, 2011 and is scheduled to sunset on December 31, 2021. The intent of the Central Gulf of Alaska Rockfish Program was to retain the conservation, management, safety, and economic gains created by the Rockfish Pilot Program. In addition to those objectives, specific elements of the Pilot Program were modified under the Rockfish Program so that program could be improved or the Rockfish Program would comply with legal authority granted to NOAA Fisheries.
Recognizing the December 31, 2021 sunset for the current Rockfish Program, the Council is scheduled to start the process of renewing the current Rockfish Program during its Decemeber 2018 meeting.
Staff contact is Jon McCracken: 907-271-1282.
- Central Gulf of Alaska Rockfish Program Reauthorization (12/14/2018)
- Full Retention of Rockfish (6/15/2018)
- Central Gulf of Alaska Rockfish Program Review (10/17/2017)
- Central GOA Rockfish Program Review Workplan (4/17/2017)
Documents and Council Motions
- Rockfish Program Review – Final, 10/17
- CGOA Rockfish Program Review Appenidx 1 SIA, 10/17
- Rockfish Program Review, April 2017
- Central Gulf of Alaska Rockfish Program, Amendment 88 to the GOA FMP 10/11
- Rockfish Pilot Program CP July standown exemptions 6/08
- Rockfish Pilot Program Review 6/08
- GOA Rockfish pilot program motion. 6/08
- Council Motion on GOA Rockfish 6/05
- Central GOA Rockfish Pilot Program Motion 4/05
- Rockfish Discussion Paper 3/05
- Rockfish Pilot Program February Council motion Clean version, Strikeout version 2/05