At this meeting, the SSC reviewed the Groundfish Economic SAFE report as presented by the Alaska Fisheries Science Center’s Economic and Social Science Research Division. The Groundfish Economic SAFE report contains detailed information about economic aspects of the groundfish fisheries (sections that are new or were extensively revised since 2018 are indicated):
- Economic performance indices
- Catch share fishery indicators
- Wholesale product price projections and ex-vessel price projections (revised in 2019)
- Summary of the community participation in Alaska fisheries (extensively revised in 2019)
- Amendment 80 fishery economic data report (EDR) summary
- Updated Amendment 91 fishery economic data report (EDR) and vessel master survey summary
- Market profiles for the most commercially valuable species (extensively revised in 2019)
- Summary of the relevant research being undertaken by the Economic and Social Sciences Research Program (ESSRP) at the Alaska Fisheries Science Center (AFSC), and a
- List of recent publications by ESSRP analysts.
The SSC noted their appreciation for the authors’ responsiveness to their comments from last year, especially on the community information. The newly-developed Economic Report Card metrics were noted as having great utility. Additional suggestions for next year’s Groundfish Economic SAFE report are in the SSC minutes.
Staff contact is Jon McCracken.