The Community Quota Entity Program authorizes eligible communities in areas 2C, 3A and 3B Community Quota Entities (CQEs) that may purchase commercial IFQ halibut and sablefish Quota Share (QS) for lease to community residents. A proposed rule would add one community in Area 4B to the list of eligible CQE communities. Some CQE communities may request to be issued charter halibut permits (CHPs) and/or Pacific cod endorsements for non-trawl groundfish licenses for lease to residents. Each CQE must submit an annual report to NMFS. Staff contact is Sam Cunningham, 907-271-1283.
Motions and Documents
- CQE Halibut/Sablefish Block Restriction motion 4/13; Initial/Public review CQE Small Block Restriction 4/13
- CQE small block motion 12/12; CQE small block restriction discussion paper, 11/12
- Area 4B Fish-up IFQ 4/12
- Public review draft: CQE Program in Area 4B final action, 11/11
- CQE in Area 4B Motion; Revising CQE Vessel Use Caps motion 10/11
- CQE Vessel Use Caps; CQE in Area 4b 8/11; Area 4B IFQ “D” shares fish on “C” vessels 10/11
- Hired Skipper IFQ paper; 3A CQE Purchase D QS; Hired Skipper motion 2/11
- 4B CQE program motion ; CQE Eligible Communities; CQE Area 4B discussion paper; Area 3A CQE Purchase D Shares; 12/10
- CQE Program Review, Final 2/10
Eligible Communities and Approved CQEs
- Final Rule to implement the IFQ Community Quota Program: 69 FR 23861, April 30, 2004
- Full IFQ program regulations
- Community Quota Entity Transfer: Application/Instructions
- Nonprofit Designation as Community Quota Entity: Application
- The State of Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development CQE Program assists communities with funding and forming non-profit organizations
Transfers and Limits
Each year, the CQE may transfer (lease) its IFQ to one or more permanent residents of the eligible community on whose behalf the QS is held, and who must be onboard when the IFQ is fished and landed. Caps limit the amount of QS that can be held on behalf of each community and collectively for all communities. Additional limits exist on “blocks” of QS.
Under 50 CFR 679.5(l)(8), each CQE must report to NMFS annually on IFQ activities, including: nonprofit governance, QS holdings, IFQ recipient selection, landings, and other relevant information
The CQE Program has been expanded to include fishing privileges in the charter halibut limited access program and the Western and Central GOA fixed gear Pacific cod fishery.